Thanks for a great workshop everyone!
When: Friday October 12, 2018
Where: Room 332
UbiComp 2018 Broadening Participation Workshop
The 2018 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp/ISWC 2018) will host the Broadening Participation Workshop for student and early career researcher participants. This is the workshop that aims to connect emerging researchers with experienced ones creating a support system and network of researchers. This event is intended to increase the involvement of women, all researchers from developing countries, as well as underrepresented minorities, including persons with disabilities, in the field of ubiquitous and wearable computing.
This event has been supported by a Special Funding Initiative under the SIGCHI Development Fund Program for Internationalisation, Diversity and Inclusion events.
- To expose students and early career researchers to cutting-edge research in the field and engage participants in discussion and knowledge exchange,
- To provide mentoring and networking opportunities to students and early career researchers that will help them in their studies and professional careers, and
- To increase and engage the overall participation of traditionally underrepresented groups in the wearable and ubiquitous computing community and contribute to its diversification.
Who Can Attend
- Graduate and undergraduate students who are working in the area of Ubiquitous Computing or are hoping to join in this fascinating area.
- Early career researchers including post-docs and young faculty members within five years of their career.
- Female and minority participants are encouraged.
- Researchers from other groups working in ubiquitous and wearable computing as well as those whose research focuses on underrepresented groups in ubiquitous and wearable computing are encouraged to apply.
- A daylong event where participants will present their current work.
- Experienced researchers will work with participants on the presentation of the work as a team.
- There would be keynote sessions to expand the knowledge base by experts in the fields.
Internationally renowned researchers including women and minorities from the field will be invited to serve as speakers, mentors, and leaders for the workshop activities. Click here to see the fantastic agenda we had at Broadening Participation Workshop at UbiComp 2015 (Osaka, Japan).
What to Submit
- A two-page description of a brief biographical sketch and your current work in ACM two-column format
- Selected projects will be displayed as posters during the workshop
- Free Registration (UbiComp’18 Main Conference + Broadening Participation Workshop)
- Travel Support (Up to USD 600)
- Submission Deadline:
August 13th, 2018August 15th, 2018
- Notification: August 17th, 2018
- Workshop date: October 12th, 2018
Interested students and early career researchers should submit an application (max. 2 pages in ACM 2-column Interim Layout format) through http://new.precisionconference.com/sigchi (On the submissions tab, select SIGCHI society and UbiComp 2018 conference. Then the submission track of UbiComp 2018 Broadening Participation Workshop will appear).
The application must include the following:
- A brief biographical sketch including the name and affiliation, the program in which the participant is enrolled, the date that the participant enrolled in the program, and the expected date of completion. (1 paragraph)
- A statement of your objectives for attending the Broadening Participation workshop and how you think it will help you in your studies and career. (1 paragraph)
- A description of your current or planned research topic. This section should describe what part of the research has already been completed (if any) and what research activities are planned for the rest of the studies.
Applications must be submitted by August 13, 2018. Applicants will be notified of decisions on August 17, 2018.